Thursday, December 1, 2016

Nothing is set in stone



Most kittens dream of murder. This one dreams of mountain biking. I dream of mountain biking, when I'm not having nightmares about being naked in high school. But right now, I'm thinking about blogging. 

You ever think about blogging? I mean, not the idea of it, but the work of it? How to produce interesting content? How to grow your audience? 

Well, let's peek behind the curtain. 

So, I have been writing this blog for a while now. And, as an aside, I hate the word "blogging." Maybe because it is pronounced like blah-ging. Or maybe it's because I just don't like the way the word sounds. It's an awful mashup of the worst sounds in English. BL-AW-G-GING. 

But I digress. What I really want to say is that nothing is set in stone. Except for Mt. Rushmore. And the pyramids. Also, things that are set in stone, like railings and stairs. Ok, a lot of things are set in stone. 

 

What's not set in stone is how I post on this here blog. 

See, things have changed some. I used to post weekly or more. Then every two weeks or so. I tried to have a theme and work out that theme while discussing something bike related. These posts take a while to write. I have to soak in the theme, like bath water, until it starts to get dirty and cold and then I know it's time to commit the ideas to paper, so to speak. 

Or sometimes I just post pictures of cats and unicorns. 

 
Unicorn skull. It's real. 

Over time, my audience was growing, although slowly. 

Then I started doing an online column for Dirt Rag. I love doing this column. And it has gotten my writing out to a bigger audience. 

But, in the meantime, my blog's traffic has withered and died. 

What to do? Well, that begs the question. Why have a blog at all? Why worry about the traffic?

The answer is part selfish and part not. I like to post. I'm not normally a talker. Usually, if a bunch of people are talking in a group, like at a bar or in a car or a meeting, I don't say much. I mostly just listen. 

So, this here's a place that I can run my mouth. And post pictures of kittens and unicorns. And Mr. Rogers. 

 

Besides that, I like biking. I care about it. So I like to advocate. And I like to promote the good stuff going on in my community. 

You want me to promote your race, sure. Your cat's bat mitzvah? Just holler. 

 

So, I like to talk and I like to talk about bikes. But it's pointless if I'm just talking into the void. I need an audience. So, I can't let the blog just die. 

Well, the obvious answer is to post more. 

Now, I can't do long, thematic posts more often. I have a job and a family. Plus, I'd rather ride bikes in my free time than post blogs. 

So I'm gonna try something new. I'm going to do a couple quickie posts a week, like this one, with a simple story or some local events. 

Here's one event that combines two things I really care about: building local trails and getting kids on bikes: 

 

This Saturday (December 3) at 8:30 am, COMBO is having a trail work day at the beginner trail at Alum Creek Phase One. Here's a link to the event:


You like riding trails? How about paying it back with a couple hours of sweat equity? As a bonus, you'll be helping fix up the beginner trail, which is used by a lot of kids, families, and new riders. And isn't that what it's all about?  

Go do it, you won't regret it. I smile every time I ride on a section of trail that I helped build or repair. Don't you?

That's it for now. Be brave a couple times a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment